Sunday, January 18, 2009

Aloha!

My life has taken a complete 180 for the next couple of months. Here's why...
I moved to Kauai


I am doing a horticulture/floral design internship rather than attending class


I am learning to dress for mosquitoes rather than snow


I live on a farm



I work in a WWII military barrack


My back yard is the jungle

I have a beautiful view of the ocean from the hill where I live

To make a floral arrangement I just go cut the flowers myself

I wake up to a "cockle-doodle-do" rather than an alarm clock

Rather than going to the grocery store I walk a few hundred feet and pick my grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, apple-bananas, avocados, macadamia nuts, and other fruits that I wasn't even aware of before I came here.



I work with and am surrounded by some of the most amazingly beautiful flowers. This is the first tropical arrangement I did by myself... How does it look?


This is the inside of the farm shop. To be honest, when I first got here I was absolutely mortified by the working environment! I don't know how such beautiful arrangements are created amidst such a mess, but some how it happens.

The past few days have been a wonderful adventure. I truly am living a beautiful place, and my new "family" Merv and Carol are the nicest people. I just can't wait till it gets warm this week so I can go to the beach!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(@_@)/

paige and jord said...

jdub! im so happy that we can at least keep in touch through the blogs... and i have to say how incredibly jealous i am, it looks so warm, and sooo pretty out there! hope all is well, love you girlie!
ps.. great job with the boquet!

Emo Henshaw said...

I am so happy I got to see you! i love it! keep them coming! Miss you!

Linsay Jarvis said...

Jena!!!!!! Oh my goodness so much to comment on! First, I LOVE that you live on a farm...I also love that you can just go outside and pick an avocado-pick one for me every day that you are there! And third, I love your working conditions, it makes me feel at home! (my house feels like that):) And last I love that you are having this adventurous adventure! I better call you, this is getting too long!

JesseAnn said...

It is so good to finally see some pictures of what you ahve been talking about! And.... I LOVE the view to the beach from your house, the back yard jungle, and of course all the fruit trees. Keep the pictures coming!