Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Madness

So, it has been beyond busy around here the past couple of weeks. As you might imagine Valentine's Day as a florist is definitely not a very relaxing holiday. I found that out in full force this week :) This week alone I made nearly 100 floral arrangements, and put in 15 hr days in the shop. At times I honestly thought my legs were going to give out on me, however I made it through and I learned SO much from getting all that practice! Don't get me wrong... it was really hard, but I had a ton of fun. It was really exciting for me because I didn't have to be the delivery girl or the clean up girl. I was arranging constantly. I enjoyed seeing how my work was valued and of worth to Kalaheo Flowers. I felt like I was promoted this week or something :) I definitely grew a lot closer to the Kimuras after all the late nights we shared out in the shop. We had some pretty late nights and long laughs. Here's just a few of the arrangements that I put together this week.


The Hawaiian people LOVE the mainland red roses and baby's breath :)



I'm learning how to make the classic floral bow... it's funny how hard it is for me.


I never had a chance to make one of these in Utah.

Roses, roses, and more roses!

I'm in love with these flowers and the oriental style! These are some of my favorites.

Hybrid Esperonce roses... the picture doesn't do them justice

My first attempt at an oriental tropical

One of the little V-day arrangements that we made for the grocery stores on the island.
One of the many vans loads we filled with arrangements
Spring Baskets
This is Merv & Carol, my Hawaiian family. They are wonderful people and have been examples to me in many ways. They took me out to dinner on Valentine's Day after the craziness at the floral shop was over. We went to Duke's, a restaurant at the Marriott in Lihue. The Hawaiian atmosphere was so fun and it was right on the beach. I tried a new fish called "Mung Chung" I love trying new tasty foods :)
Hula pie anyone?!!! Oh my gosh to die for! Macadamia nut ice cream with chocolate and a fabulous Oreo crust. The pink one was a special V-day strawberry version. All day Merv told me he was ordering a slice of hula pie just for me, I found out why that was so funny when I saw the size of it!

I took a drive one day with Carol up to the north side of the island. This is Hanalei Valley, it was so beautiful up there.



Spouting Horn, the water shoots up pretty high when it is high tide. When I was there I could also so whales in the distance.

This is the orchid farm down the highway that we get our orchids from. I was fascinated by the sight when I first went there because orchids are one of my favorite flowers.


3 comments:

JesseAnn said...

Wow, Jena, those Oriental arrangements are cool. Its true, the pictures don't do as much justice. I saw some of the flowers you sent mom and they were gorgeous!!! I thought they were fake almost. I had to touch them to believe it. It's also neat to see the couple you are staying and working with... and the pie is MASSIVE. I probably would have devoured the whole thing! It looks beautiful there! And... nice work coming through for every ones valentines day! Love ya lots!

paige and jord said...

j dub- the arrangements are beautiful, to no surprise at all! you are incredibly talented.. way to go! and it looks like youre having the time of your life.
I LOVE YOU! give me your finga

Emo Henshaw said...

Jena I love it! i only wish I was there with you!