Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Special Visit

I was so lucky to have Shane come visit me this week! We had so much fun seeing the island and playing for four days straight. It was so nice to have such a great break from school and work stuff. Even though we both are suffering a little bit now, it was worth it :) I have been here for almost two months now and I haven't been able to be much of a tourist yet, so I really enjoyed the time off. Kauai truly is such a beautiful place! Here's a little recap of our adventures... Sorry so long, it's for my journal.

DAY ONE: Kayaked up the Wailua River then hiked to Secret Falls and ate lunch there. Then we hiked back to our kayaks and visited Fern Grotto. It was such an exciting adventure, and not to mention a great work out going against the current and wind!!!


DAY TWO: Headed to the north side of the island to see the Kilawea lighthouse and the Hanalei Valley and Bay. I was obsessed with how the water crashed against the waves so I took a thousand pictures! It was absolutely beautiful but pretty windy if you can't tell...

Kauai North Shoreline

The historic Kilawea Lighthouse
Hanalei Bay


DAY THREE: Boarded a boat to go whale and dolphin watching and to see the Na Pali coast (the part of the island you can't drive to). It started out amazing... Whales swam within 30ft of our boat, and the bottlenose dolphins were right along the sides of the boat too. My dream however turned into a nightmare when I started feeling sick. In sum I stood at the back of the boat for the last 3 1/2 hours of the trip throwing up anything and everything inside of me. I can honestly say I have NEVER felt that sick in my life! It was so embarassing!!! Oh and not to forget poor Shane standing next to me, trying to help me. I bet it was even worse for him! Hense the reason you don't see any pictures of us on the boat ha!
Humpback whales- they were huge!!! It was super hard to get a picture of them though.
Valleys on the NaPali coast... Look familiar? Does Jurasick Park ring a bell?!
Finally after returning to solid ground all I could do was sleep, so the rest of our plans were kinda ruined. Somehow I managed to accomidate for a little bit (or rather a lot) of hula pie :)
DAY FOUR: Enjoyed a little of "hawaiian style" church and drove up Waimea Canyon to Koke. I was shocked, I had no idea what we were in for. The view was spectacular! "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific" as Mark Twain coined it.

Looking down from the top of Kalalau at the NaPali coast and shoreline

3 comments:

said...

wowwww! so cool!

Linsay Jarvis said...

Jen, I need to call you but I've just been sleeping so much! One day I'll adjust to sleepless nights, but everythign is great and we're loving our little buggie :). Ok so first of all could you be any more beautiful?! Every picture I was like oh my gosh she is gorgeous. Ok and second, I can't wait to hear how everything was with Shane! It looks like you guys had so much fun! And last, well I'll just stop and call you soon!! love ya!!

paige and jord said...

are you serious!?!? those pictures are ADORABLE! sounds like you guys had so much fun- we need to catch up j dub. GIVE ME YOUR FINGA!